Crafty Moose gone wild!

Welcome to the Ticklish Moose blog!

Be sure to visit my webstore for some great freebies, as well as Ticklish Moose merchandise:


http://www.ticklishmoose.com/

Creative License

Creative Commons License
All Shown On This Blog by Ticklish Moose is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.ticklishmoose.com.

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Owlies- A Free Owl Pattern and Tutorial!

I am one of those people blessed with great family members.  Not to say we don't have our issues, fight now and then like families do or have a weirdo or two (which I am convinced is NOT me).  But all in all, through thick and thin we love each other to pieces.

So imagine my delight at finding out that one of my nieces was expecting a baby.....and a girl at that!  You know, I do love all things girly.  And who can resist a sweet little baby?  Unfortunately, my niece is full-term and has been in the path of Irene, but baby stayed put (whew!) and the power is back on in their area.  You know how the end of your pregnancy is.  And you can imagine she was thinking "Seriously?!? A freakin' HURRICANE?"

Well, enough of that.....back to me.

I wanted to make something special for baby, and much to my delight the 'theme' was owls, and the color of the nursery was to be green and brown.  I had seen a cool mobile some time back and had been wanting to try one- I just knew it was the project for me!  Originally I was going to attach the owlies by ribbons to a wooden embroidery hoop, but soon became obsessed with making it musical as well.  I scoured all of the local thrifts for gently used baby mobiles to no avail.  I was running out of time when I stopped into a Kid to Kid store to see what they had.  And wouldn't you know it- amongst  the pink Care Bears  and blue Cars mobiles I found this:




The perfect base for my newest creation!  
Couldn't wait to cut those sports figures off!!


I could not find an owl pattern anywhere that was exactly what I needed, so I made my own.  Feel free to download and use it, but please give a link back or shout out-K?  
 


Download Full Size Pattern Here


Suitable materials for this project are felt (wool or poly), suede or leather (I upcycled some old jackets), suit weight woolens (once again, I upcycled), quilt weight cotton for the tummy, and whatever buttons, embroidery threads, ribbons, etc. you would like to add.  I stuffed mine with a high quality poly fluff filling and sewed it on the machine, but you could easily also sew these by hand with a blanket or back stitch.


Cut out the pattern pieces from whatever fabrics you have chosen.  I used fusible web on the back of my cotton tummy piece to hold it in place while I stitched it on, and used a decorative stitch, but that is your discretion. 







I wanted each of my owlies to have their own personality, so I cut odd shaped triangles for the beaks.  I used some permanent fabric glue on the beaks since these will not be "loved on" by the baby, but if you use the pattern for "lovies" please be sure all items are secured and cannot be swallowed by baby. This is also the point where you can add all of the hand embroidery easily to the faces.  I added eyelashes and spectacles, buttons, bows and bling until I had them where I wanted them to be.  I put a lot of emphasis on the eyes, as this is an infant mobile.  


One of the owls ready for final assembly:



 
 
 
Stitch the back to the front (1/4" seam allowance) leaving a hole on the side for the stuffing
 


If your owlie will be used for a mobile, before stuffing add a knotted 1/4" ribbon through the back to hang.  Remember- the owlie needs to face slightly downward so baby gets the best view, so position your ribbon down about 1" from the top center.
 
 

That's it- stuff your owlie and stitch the opening closed.  I used pinking shears to add a decorative edge (be careful at feet!)


My owlies (before attached to the mobile)








And finally.....added to the mobile base:
 
 
Here's lookin' at you, baby!

4 comments:

  1. Cute pattern! Love the color choices on your finished owls. Green's a favorite for me.
    Thank You for the Follow!
    I believe Lyme is real. i have one relative whose life will forever remain as altered as day to night because she got Lyme.
    Blessings to you form PPS
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this pattern - it is just what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the colors and thanks for the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete

let's keep it kind :)

All My Best

Telling People What I Think For 40+ Years!!

Blog Advertising - Advertise on blogs with SponsoredReviews.com