Do you ever spend way too much time looking for something to fulfill a storage or space requirement and then think "duh.....I can just MAKE that!" ?
I have had this idea for vertical ribbon storage for some time now. I kept thinking about possibly modifying a paper towel holder but the bases are typically too large. Then the other day I was clearing out some stuff from a shelf in the shed and realized I had everything I already needed! Booyah!
This is what it looks like completed
This is the pile of
junk supplies that started the process
I also used some wood glue, a little 220 grit sandpaper, black spray paint, and ended up using a wooden spool on the top. My husband was nice enough to put together a cute little power tool kit just for me..........guess he got tired of the endless 'honey-do's' and looking for his tools :) So I got to use my awesome new cordless drill on this project!
The 2 inch diameter wooden disc is a cedar block that had lost it's scent. Any size piece of wood would work as long as it is larger than the wheel. The hole in the wheel was not quite large enough to push the dowel into, so I used my handy drill to make the hole the correct size, added a little glue to the bottom edge of the dowel and stuck them together.
Then I just glued the disc to the top of the candlestick, and the wheel with dowel attached to the disc. I let the whole thing dry about an hour.